Not since the Industrial Age has the opportunity for change in energy been as great as it is today. There is now a transformation from dirty, extraction-based fossil-fuel energy fuels now imported into Hawai’i, but choices we make as to acceptable “renewable energy” options will have positive or negative consequences and costs to Hawaii’s population and environment.
One thing is certain: $5 trillion dollars annually in global taxpayer subsidies of the fossil fuel (dirty energy) sector is unsustainable, and by any measurement, economically and environmentally, a costly and false economy. (2016-17 World Bank – IMF reports).
Zero emissions energy sources are driving new cost and performance efficiencies and environmental benefits for Hawai’i and that can propel the state’s transformation to a clean energy driven global economy. Hawaii’s abundant sun, wind, water, and geothermal energy assets are Hawaii’s mana.
- US won’t reach net zero emissions without transmission buildout: DNVby Diana DiGangi on September 25, 2023 at 2:44 pm
A cumulative $12 trillion will be spent on clean energy in North America by 2050, but neither the U.S. or Canada are on track to hit net zero by then, says […]
- PJM plan for distributed energy aggregations would block virtual power plants: Teslaby Ethan Howland on September 25, 2023 at 1:14 pm
Tesla on Friday urged federal regulators to approve measures so residential aggregations in VPPs in PJM can be “achieved at scale and provide transformative […]
- ‘Keep up the pace’: DOE gains on appliance efficiency standards with potential to save $570Bby Robert Walton on September 25, 2023 at 12:09 pm
There are almost 40 appliance energy efficiency standards scheduled for completion by late 2024, say conservation advocates.
- Customer-driven clean energy procurement, not regulation, is driving decarbonizationby Kevin Hagen on September 25, 2023 at 12:00 pm
In 2022, voluntary renewable energy procurement deals by corporate and institutional customers were equivalent to 70% of the carbon-free energy capacity added […]
- The future of work in the energy and utilities industry: Embracing automation and digital transformationon September 25, 2023 at 9:00 am
Discover how automation & digital transformation are transforming the Energy & Utilities industry.
- Visibility: The foundation for securing OT in the utility sectorby Navneet Singh, VP of Network Security Marketing at Palo Alto Networks on September 25, 2023 at 9:00 am
Having a thorough awareness of all the resources and devices in a network is the first step in laying a stronger security foundation.
- Petrostate windfall tax would help poor countries in climate crisis, says Brownby Fiona Harvey Environment editor on September 25, 2023 at 5:00 am
Former British PM calls for 3% levy on oil and gas export revenues of biggest producers to generate $25bn a year for global southPetrostates should pay a small […]
- Rishi Sunak saves his job but not the planet – cartoonby Chris Riddell on September 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm
The prime minister jettisons green policies in pursuit of re-election• You can order your own copy of this cartoon Continue reading...
- UK ministers scrap energy efficiency taskforce after six monthsby Amy Walker on September 23, 2023 at 2:31 pm
Group tasked with overseeing initiative to insulate homes and upgrade boilers was only set up in March‘The worst kind of culture war’: Tories attack Rishi […]
- Watering down the UK’s net zero strategy may backfire for Rishi Sunakby Robert Ford on September 23, 2023 at 12:19 pm
Just as the ‘stop the boats’ campaign didn’t win the Tories support, their new ‘red wall’-targeting policy on carbon emissions may backfireThe […]
- Batteries and Apple store vibes: the latest EVs take centre stage at successor to Melbourne motor showby Henry Belot on September 23, 2023 at 4:00 am
Once a mecca for petrol heads, this fresh incarnation of the car show hopes to meet Australia’s surging demand for electric vehiclesFollow our Australia news […]
- Retail ‘choice’: A bad deal for consumers and the planetby Jenifer Bosco on September 22, 2023 at 2:35 pm
Data from Massachusetts, Connecticut, Illinois and several other states confirm that families pay far too much when they sign up for alternative electric […]
- Record 13% of Eastern Interconnect capacity failed in Winter Storm Elliott: FERC, NERCby Ethan Howland on September 22, 2023 at 12:21 pm
FERC commissioners called on Congress Thursday to name an agency for gas reliability oversight as commission and NERC staff issued cold-weather recommendations.
- Governors’ coalition plans to quadruple US heat pump installations by 2030by Robert Walton on September 22, 2023 at 12:01 pm
A bipartisan coalition of 25 governors on Thursday committed to reach 20 million heat pump installations across their states by the end of the decade.
- Dominion Energy turns to lithium-ion battery alternatives as it builds out offshore wind, solar fleetby Kavya Balaraman on September 22, 2023 at 10:37 am
The proposed project would test two storage technologies: Form Energy’s iron-air batteries and Eos Energy’s zinc-hybrid batteries.
- Global push for clean hydrogen foiled by costs and lack of support, report findsby Ajit Niranjan Environment correspondent on September 22, 2023 at 5:00 am
IEA says firms are announcing more projects but waiting for government support before investingThe global push for clean hydrogen is being held back by rising […]
- ‘He is making the UK a climate villain’: MEPs denounce Sunak’s net zero retreatby Ajit Niranjan and Lili Bayer on September 21, 2023 at 4:47 pm
Politicians from across the divide say ‘suicidal’ policy U-turns will harm environment and Britain’s economyEuropean politicians from across the spectrum […]
- Rishi Sunak defies critics and presses on with net zero U-turnby Aubrey Allegretti Senior political correspondent on September 21, 2023 at 1:46 pm
Prime minister ignores advice of official body and says UK still on track to meet 2050 targetUK politics live – latest updatesRishi Sunak has vowed to press […]
- Green target delay will lead to higher bills for low-income tenants, say expertsby Patrick Butler Social policy editor on September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Requirement for landlords to meet stricter energy efficiency standards has been droppedLow-income tenants will face higher energy bills as a result of the […]
- Sunak’s net zero U-turn is so toxic that it’s united Greens and car manufacturers against him | Caroline Lucasby Caroline Lucas on September 20, 2023 at 7:48 pm
With climate change a top priority for the public, surely time is up for a prime minister who couldn’t seem to care less?Caroline Lucas is the Green MP for […]
- Humanity has ‘opened gates to hell’ by letting climate crisis worsen, UN secretary warnsby Oliver Milman on September 20, 2023 at 7:41 pm
António Guterres opened United Nations climate ambition summit with attack on wealthy countries and the fossil fuel industryHumanity has “opened the gates […]
- Rishi Sunak announces U-turn on key green targetsby Pippa Crerar, Fiona Harvey and Kiran Stacey on September 20, 2023 at 7:37 pm
UK prime minister delays ban on sale of new petrol and diesel cars as he pushes back net zero goalsUK politics live – latest updatesRishi Sunak has announced […]
- Cynical Rishi sells net zero targets down the river to appease the rightby John Crace on September 20, 2023 at 7:10 pm
There’s nothing long term about the prime minister diluting green policies in the hope of clinging on to powerYou could sense the panic when news was leaked […]
- Sunak’s big green gamble: the story behind the PM’s decision to U-turnby Rowena Mason, Pippa Crerar, Kiran Stacey and Helena Horton on September 20, 2023 at 5:59 pm
With PM’s electoral options narrowing, strategists came to conclusion policy could help create dividing line with LabourIsaac Levido, the strategy guru […]
- The Guardian view on diluting net zero targets: bad economics dictated by cynical politics | Editorialby Editorial on September 20, 2023 at 5:57 pm
The PM has chosen to put a narrow, divisive electoral calculation ahead of serious statecraft and responsible governmentIt takes a special kind of cynicism to […]
- Rishi Sunak rolls back net zero targets in reset of UK climate policies – videoon September 20, 2023 at 5:32 pm
The prime minister has announced the scrapping or watering down of some of the UK's net zero targets, pushing back a ban on diesel and petrol vehicles from […]
- The push for nuclear energy in Australia is driven by delay and denial, not evidence | Adam Mortonby Adam Morton on September 20, 2023 at 3:00 pm
Unsubstantiated claims of nuclear energy’s worth distracts from the urgency to act now on climate crisisThe vague, ideological push for nuclear energy backed […]
- ‘Missing half the equation’: scientists criticise Australia over approach to fossil fuelsby Adam Morton Climate and environment editor on September 19, 2023 at 3:00 pm
Prof Lesley Hughes and others say there is ‘cognitive dissonance’ between Labor’s stated commitment to the climate crisis and its policiesThe Australian […]
- Climate activists block Federal Reserve bank, calling for end to fossil fuel fundingby Dharna Noor in New York on September 18, 2023 at 10:54 pm
Action came as world leaders begin arriving in New York for the UN general assembly and after Sunday’s march to end fossil fuelsOne day after the largest […]
- Proposed Sizewell C nuclear plant seeks outside investmentby Alex Lawson on September 18, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Prospective investors will be subject to ‘strict national security checks’, minister vowsProspective investors in the proposed Sizewell C nuclear power […]
- Xcel Energy reduces carbon emissions 30 percentCompany reports progress delivering a more sustainable energy future for communities
- Yingli Green Energy Announces Engagement of Financial and Legal Advisors to Special Committee
- Spring flooding no match for historic Chaudière Falls - Energy Ottawa powers through with Doors Open Ottawa event
- Arnold Schwarzenegger's R20 alliance, Alpiq and BG Consulting Engineers: combined forces for sustainable energy projects
- Greenpeace study finds Renewable Energy will be cheapest electricity in G20 countries by 2030
- SWICE Program Commencement at Roxbury Community College Marks Successful Completion of Pilot Clean Energy Program
- TUM launches new degree programs
- New York Governor Announces Major Climate and Jobs Initiative in Partnership with the Worker Institute at Cornell University ILR's School and Climate Jobs NY to Help Create 40,000 Clean Energy Jobs by 2020
- Central Asian Countries Commit to Accelerate the Uptake of Renewables in the RegionIRENA collaborates with Central Asia to capitalise on substantial renewable energy potential
- Masdar and PT PJB sign MOU on collaboration in Indonesia
- Customers meet renewable energy and sustainability goals with new Xcel Energy program
- STEM education brought to the forefront with new initiative provided by ForeFront Power
- Republic Services Further Reduces Carbon Emissions Through Increased Usage of Renewable Natural Gas in its Fleet
- U.S. Renewables Now Providing More Electricity Than Nuclear Power
- Aquila Capital acquires six Norwegian hydropower plantsAcquisition adds further scale to Aquila Capital European Hydropower Fund portfolio
- Renewables Provide 19.35% of U.S. Electricity - About 40 Years Sooner Than EIA Expected
- Banner water year increases hydropower benefit
- Enel-National Research Council: Joint Laboratory Founded for the Study of Renewable Energy Technologies
- NREL-Led Research Effort Creates New Alloys, Phase Diagram
- Voith and China Three Gorges Corporation (CTG) enhance their cooperation in the hydropower business